We’re all in agreement here – pea soup is the best. It’s nutritious, creamy, and satisfying, and it makes a perfect side dish or main course for lunch or dinner.
Because we love pea soup so much, we decided to put our unique spin on the dish. The result? Our spicy pea soup recipe.
This pea soup is 100% vegan, so all of our plant-based friends will love it! It’s also incredibly simple – only five ingredients make up the entire recipe.
The extra kick comes from green curry paste, a traditional ingredient in Thai cuisine. The Thai inspiration doesn’t end there. This recipe also includes a hint of coconut milk, which adds sweetness and richness that makes our pea soup even more unique.
Ready to learn how to make this fabulous soup? We’ve got all the instructions right here.
The Ingredients for Spicy Split Pea Soup
Here’s everything you need to make our spicy split pea soup.
- Frozen peas. We recommend using frozen peas for this recipe since they’re more affordable and easier to find than fresh ones. You can buy one bag of peas at your local grocery store for about a dollar (or have us arrange the purchase for you) and have enough of the veggie to make this entire recipe!
- Red onion. The onion in this dish gives it tons of extra flavor without adding virtually any calories.
- Garlic. Garlic is one of the most versatile spices out there. It’s packed with flavor, and it’s right at home in a wide array of recipes. Try to find fresh garlic to use in this soup for maximum flavor payoff.
- Green curry paste. You can find this Thai ingredient in the global foods section at your local grocery store. If you don’t feel like hunting it down, just put together a grocery list with us, and someone else can do it for you!
- Coconut milk. Just a touch of coconut milk makes this soup taste even better.
How To Make Spicy Split Pea Soup
Follow these steps to make the best split pea soup you’ve ever had.
- Start by peeling and chopping your onion. Aim for the smallest possible pieces.
- Next, chop your garlic into equally small pieces. Combine your onion and garlic in a frying pan.
- Drizzle olive oil on the pan and turn it on medium heat. Once heated, let the garlic and onions cook for two minutes. To ensure an even cook, stir frequently with a wooden spoon.
- Add the peas, green curry paste, coconut milk, salt, and ½ cup of water per serving in the same pan. Combine these ingredients with the onions and garlic.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer for eight minutes. Meanwhile, take out your blender or food processor.
- Purée the cooked ingredients using your blender (ideally an immersion blender) or food processor. Aim for a smooth, even texture.
- Your soup is ready to serve! Garnish the dish with fresh cilantro or lime juice if desired.
Want More Cooking Inspiration?
If you’re stuck in a rut with your cooking, you’re bound to find inspiration on our cooking page. There, you’ll have infinite access to our massive database of delicious recipes. You can also check out our blog for tips and advice on taking your at-home culinary skills to the next level!